Tags: associated, birth, bleeding, cervix, constipation, drugs, experienced, friable, health, medications, pregnancy, slight

what is a friable cervix?

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Pregnancy & Birth

2,900 words with 5 Comments; publish: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:06:00 GMT; (90046.88, « »)

Does anyone have any information on this? I experienced slight bleeding several times with the last pregnancy, associated with constipation, and the ob said I had a friable cervix. Online, all I can find about this is that it is associated with illness but that was never brought up before. I go see the OB tomorrow and the Naturopath on Friday and want some better information.

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 5 Comments
    • Don't worry, a friable cervix is one that has extra vessels and bleeds easily and is extra sensitive...

just part of a normal body... mine never gave me any trouble, just occasional spotting after sex.

It's like having lips that chap easily or sensitive skin... it just is.

That is the info I was given, hope this helps!

V

#1; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:41:00 GMT
    • Oh that does help. I do have lips that chap easily and sensitive skin! I wonder why I found online information associating it with HPV? Must be in women who are not pregnant. I was in such a daze last pregnancy I did not ask all the right questions or do all the right research. Not this time.

Thanks!

#2; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:42:00 GMT
    • Yep, a cervix becomes more friable during pregnancy because of swelling/increased bloodsupply etc (just like the lining of the nostrils which is why nosebleeds can be a pregnancy symptom). Same thing happens when there is inflammation from something like HPV. Nothing to worry about (in pregnancy, that is) :wink
      #3; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:43:00 GMT
    • Have you all experienced this? How do you decide what is too much blood? Last pregnancy, I had some episodes where blood was bright red and seemed to last more than just a sec. I called the doc on that twice and had to go to the hospital and have ultrasounds and it was stressful. Then, I was told that stress was making the situation worse (I had the job from he**). I also had a couple of light bleeding episodes I learned to just watch and then ignore. This week, I've had two of those and when I saw the doc yesterday she said light bleeding for a sec after a difficult BM is not big deal. I am going to the naturopath tomorrow to see about changing my diet and getting this constipation under control. But, bleeding is scary, no matter how light. How do you manage that fear and when is bleeding too much? The doc just told me to call if I am worried.
      #4; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:44:00 GMT
    • I would worry when it doesn't stop or is more than a pad an hour, or if is accompanied by pain or cramping or other signs of m/c. Or what your doc or nurse says to be concerned with.

There is so much to worry about being pregnant, and even more when you are a parent. It is one big lesson is knowing that no one is ever really in control.

For me, it is the power of knowledge that makes me feel more comfortable, talking with someone who I trust and just mind over matter.

I know, eaiser said then done, as I try not to worry about stuff too. Good luck at the homeopaths and drink some prune juice! :wink

V